THIS might burst your affinity for bubble tea.
A 14-year-old girl in China who was constipated for nearly a week had an abdominal blockage caused by undigested bubble tea pearls, according to reports.
The teen from Zheijiang province in eastern China was sent to a hospital on May 28 by her parents after having stomach pains and not being able to eat or use the bathroom for five days, Asia One reports, citing local media.
After doctors couldn’t find what was ailing the backed-up teen, a CT scan revealed about 100 “unusual spherical shadows” that were later found to be undigested tapioca pearls from bubble tea that she downed five days earlier.
But a doctor who treated the girl believed she may have underestimated just how many servings of boba she consumed, saying her condition was so severe that she must’ve consumed more of the starchy tapioca balls than she relayed to her parents.
Dr. Zhang Louzhen told The Paper that “so many undigested ‘pearls’” would not have come from just one drink.
The girl was ultimately given laxatives to relieve her symptoms, Asia One reports.