Two dancers injured as big screen suddenly falls off at Mirror's concert. Credit - thestandard.com.hk

A HUGE screen fell on the stage during a concert by popular Hong Kong boy band Mirror on Thursday, crushing one performer and trapping others.

Graphic footage shared online appeared to show the moment the giant LED screen fell, crushing a dancer as it dropped onto the stage at the Hong Kong Coliseum.

A local hospital said one dancer suffered neck injuries and was in a serious condition in intensive care, while another performer was stable, the South China Morning Post reported.

Police said the two male dancers were conscious when they were sent to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Credit – thestandard.com.hk

Three members of the audience were also injured, local media reported, with many fans emotional after the harrowing scenes.

In video footage, fans can be heard screaming in terror as they realised what had happened. At least two fans were treated for shock.

The clip appeared to show the enormous screen landing edgeways on a dancer’s head.

The concert was halted and the group’s manager asked crowds to exit the arena.

The incident has prompted a government investigation and the suspension of future shows.

“I am shocked by the incident. I express sympathy to those who were injured and hope that they would recover soon,” Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee said on Friday.

The government would review safety procedures to protect performers, staff and the public, he said.

Kevin Yeung, the city’s Culture Secretary, said the show would be suspended until the stage structure was safe.

The government’s leisure bureau had already contacted the concert organiser about other stage incidents in recent days, he said in a statement.

The hugely popular cantopop group was formed in 2018 through a reality television show and had planned a series of 12 shows at Hong Kong’s Coliseum, next to the city’s Victoria harbour.

The performing group . Credit – kpophit.com

More than 13,000 Mirror fans signed an online petition asking the concert organiser to resolve the problems and ensure safety for all performers, according to the petition’s website.

MakerVille, the concert organiser which is owned by Hong Kong tycoon Richard Li’s PCCW Media Group, said it was thoroughly investigating the cause of the accident.

“We are deeply sorry that the incident caused unease to viewers or others affected.”

Original source — https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/07/29/giant-screen-falls-crushes-dancers-concert-hong-kong-boy-band/

— BebasNews

Leave a Reply