SURGING coronavirus figures across Europe should serve as “a wake-up call”, the World Health Organization’s regional director has said.
Hans Kluge said in the past two weeks the number of new cases had doubled in more than half of European member states.
“We have a very serious situation unfolding before us,” he said.
He was speaking as the number of confirmed infections worldwide crept towards the 30 million mark.
More than 942,000 people have died since the coronavirus emerged in China late last year.
Speaking in Copenhagen on Thursday, Mr Kluge said 300,000 new infections were reported across Europe last week alone and weekly cases had exceeded those reported during the first peak in March.
“Although these numbers reflect more comprehensive testing, it also shows alarming rates of transmission across the region,” he told reporters.
Mr Kluge said the figures “should serve as a wake-up call for all of us”.